Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Initial thoughts for the first week

Marking time:  Today marks 1 week in Afghanistan and about 1 ½ week mark since I’ve left total.  Although the feeling may fade after a while, I find myself waking up early “wanting” to get to the shower and head to work.  I think this has a lot to do with the thought process of once your deployed, you should make work primary and let it monopolize your time so that you don’t have that much time to miss back home.  I have found myself making strides in getting this command to a workable foundation of being able to manage knowledge, have efficient work processes, well-organized information flow and data structures as well as having top down buy-in for holistic concept of knowledge management .    I do look forward to getting my foot further in the door and being able to have my quick wins so that I have further buy in from more of the command. 
The emotions of it all:  I have had a mixture of emotions and feelings making this trip different than last time.  The feelings that I had were bitter sweet.  First, excitement and eagerness, I knew going to Afghanistan would enable me to really care for my family financially in a way that I couldn’t before.  Secondly, sadness and anxiety, I knew that since I’ve grown closer to my wife and children, I would miss them more than I ever had.  Finally, complete piece, I knew my family would be taken care of in my absence.  Having a complete piece in one’s heart about a situation like this is something that is above measure and truly invaluable.  Although distance separates my wife and kids from my other biological family, they would help if called upon at a moment’s notice.  Additionally, my outstanding church family would gravitate to my wife and surround them with love and be able to care for my family in way that I can’t even describe. 
Talking back home:  I have been able to communicate with my family almost every day and sometimes multiple times in a day.  The communications out here are absolutely outstanding, albeit slow, it’s a constant line back to home that I am blessed to have.  I do have the potential to skype with my family every day for free at the internet cafe.  I have the potential to call back to my family every day for a very low cost.  My job enables me to have a computer at my office that is connected to the internet so that I can email often as well.  One I transition into an actual room with potential roommate/s, I will be able to have internet into my room making it even easier to communicate back home.
My stomach aches:  To say the food on my Camp is good is an understatement.  The people running this base have gone to great lengths ensuring those assigned to this camp not only stay fed, they have a great variety of choices to eat as well.  While I’m deployed here, I am given the opportunity to eat at the Mess Hall/Chow Hall/DFAC/Cafeteria….for free including drinks.  There are two places to eat in which you can potentially eat 4 times a day as well as a 24 hour soup and sandwich section.  Staying fed will not be an issue here.

1 comment:

  1. At least you will be fed well. You won't want to come home after all the meals they feed you! So don't get too used to it.

    ReplyDelete